So, when I originally planned our meals for the week, I was planning on going to an admitted student event at American tonight, and was just going to pick up dinner somewhere. Well, silly me didn’t realize until yesterday that I had to RSVP, and the event filled up so I couldn’t attend. That sucked for what it was, but I also had no idea what to make for dinner! I ate these breadsticks as I rummaged through the fridge.
I had a bunch of random herbs… and didn’t feel like defrosting any meat… and some potatoes on their last leg… This sounds like a breakfast for dinner night!
I used to love breakfast for dinner when I was a kid! Breakfast is my favorite meal and I could have it all the time. This meal contained two slices of bacon, two eggs scrambled with milk, salt, pepper, parsley, and chives (scrambled in bacon grease.. so good!), strawberries, and home fries.
Makes 2 servings.
- 1 lb yukon gold potatoes, scrubbed and diced into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 onion, diced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Your choice of chopped fresh herbs (I used parsley and thyme)
- Toss the potatoes in a microwave safe bowl with the oil. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and microwave 5-10 minutes until tender, removing every 3 minutes and shaking to evenly distribute (careful, bowl will be hot!). Drain.
- Melt the butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Distribute potatoes evenly over the pan. Let cook undisturbed until golden brown on one side, about 5 minutes. Add onion and turn. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally until onion is soft and potatoes are completely brown.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper, and herbs.
This meal was so tasty, although I took in more calories than I planned to. That’s why planning ahead of time is so important!
Total Calories In: 2,020 cal. Calories Burned: 334 cal.
A little steep today. The butter and bacon was totally worth it, though.