We had a really nice (and easy!) dinner tonight. I made Ellie Krieger’s Pork Piccata with Spinach and Garlic Mashed Potatoes.
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/4 pounds pork tenderloin, sliced crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick medallions
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley (I just realized I forgot this! Oops!)
Express “Steamed” Spinach
- 5 ounces pre-washed baby spinach leaves
Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- 1 1/4 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, left unpeeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 large cloves garlic, peeled and quartered
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
To make the Pork Piccata:
- Combine the flour and 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper in a sealable plastic bag. Place the pork medallions in the bag and shake until well-coated.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillt (not nonstick) over medium-high heat. Working in two batches, cook the pork until it is browned on both sides, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Transfer the meat to a plate.
- Add the garlic to the same skillet, then immediately add the wine and cook over medium-high heat. As the wine reduces, stir to dissolve the small bits and juices remaining in the pan from the meat. Cook until the wine is reduced by about half, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, lemon juice, capers, and remaining salt and pepper and cook until the mixture has reduced slightly, an additional 3 to 4 minutes. Return the medallions to the skillet along with the remaining tablespoon of oil and heat until the sauce thickens and the meat is cooked to medium doneness, about 3 minutes.
- Serve over the Express “Steamed” Spinach and Garlic Mashed Potatoes, and top with the parsley.
To make the Express “Steamed” Spinach:
- Place the spinach in a large microwave-safe bowl and cover tightly. Microwave on high for 90 seconds.
To make the Garlic Mashed Potatoes:
- Place the potatoes and garlic in a steamer basket fitted over a large pot of boiling water. Cover and steam until the potatoes are knife tender, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Warm the chicken broth in a small saucepan on the stove or in a glass container in the microwave.
- Remove the steamer basket and drain the water from the large pot. Transfer the potatoes and garlic to the pot, add the oil, salt, and broth, and mash until smooth.
This was a really nice dinner! I’m not a big fan of using white flour, but this was such a small amount I think it was ok. I’m planning on making this again later in the week, so I’ll remember the parsley then!
We got sucked in watching ‘The Wrestler” tonight. It was a great film, but it’s late now and I need to hit the hay! Until tomorrow, chickadees!